Friday 19 July 2013

Undiscovered: Abigail Jones

I have decided to take on a new project. I am fascinated by creative teens, who are making art and exploring all things creative, and doing things amazing, despite their age. However, I realized there are only a few of these teens out there that are making themselves really known, and their are many other teens who are  doing these inspirational pursuits, but are not recognized. Therefore, I have created this section on my blog dedicated to teen creatives, where I will interview them and take photos of them, not only giving them exposure, but hopefully inspiring other teens and people out there to follow their dreams and passions too.

So with that I give you my first interviewee. I had to choose this girl, as she is one of the biggest inspirations in my life. Her name is Abi Jones, and she is a 16 years old illustrator, fine artist, model and awesome teen!

Tell us about yourself?
 I don't really know a lot about myself. I mean it's such a broad and extensive topic, and I'd make it all weird and complicated, so I will just explore myself in terms of art and whatever. Yes, I'm really into mystery, mythology and disturbing, beautiful, sad, broken things-at the moment I have been voicing natural imagery in a fallacious synthetic way, kind of like many layers of decadent theater stage decoration, or pop up castles and paper ballerina's, like in the tin soldier fairy tale.


What creative things do you enjoy doing?
Creative things, idk man, I think everything creative, not in just obvious terms either. I mean, even dreams are creative. I like to think that the creativity stifled and undiscovered in my subconscious is able to manifest  over my dreams. Dreams are terrifying because they're biographical-last night I had a haunting dream about a terrible event/stress in my life that I haven't even thought about for many months-it concerned me because a section of my mind tortures itself without my unconscious knowing.



Where do you get your inspiration from?
Like I just said, dreams, literature and ideas, art , music. I'm really into a tumblr site called 'creepydesu' which takes art from peoples pictures, It's theme is that of disturbing and innocence. Sometimes I feel bad about finding corruption and innocence interesting, but I think it's because as a child maturing you become aware of corruption and it is traumatizing. Maybe I try to turn it into an independent power thing-the corrupted ones trying to understand and find themselves in a which alternates spirit from body and objectifies.

What is your preferred creative medium?
IDK, probably ink and pen, I am a compulsive drawer of detail and little whimsical things. I'm more into comics right now, combining story with illustration. I have also found it easier because I can completely zone out and meditate whilst drawing, it becomes more emotionally expressive and cathartic.

What would you like to be doing as a career?
As a career...idk, unfortunately the terrible corrosion of self doubt enjoys pissing on my dreams and setting them alight sometimes. So, I build the ideas up. I might say, ideally, I should be confined to a room with a window and inks and paints. I have a lot of emotion and anger at myself for failing at being normal and social isolates me so that I can express myself. I like to brood, I hope what I say makes sense?

Where is your dream place to live?
Probably some elaborate crippled manor house on a Gothic hill with a dungeon. I'll probably set up a bakery there. I like the idea of the neighborhood kids fearing me, when really i'm this awesome botanist, artist, witch!

Do you think age should limit a persons goals and achievements?

 I don't think age limits goals, people limit goals. Age certainly limits artistic independence, because most kids have school and find it difficult to make decisions between work and art creativity. Then you are told you will be unleashed into the world, and your like 'WTF'?!

If you could change your name, what would you call yourself?
That is the most difficult question of my life-man! I was previously known as Ramon because I like food. I realised-however-that this name was probably taken by a pale obese man dedicating his life to world of Warcraft in his parents spare room-Ramon was the username. So, yeah, I'll just be Arme or something random Arme for Amethyst because it is the stone of inspiration.

Do you like collaboration projects?
Well, I'm a social creep, so would probably fuck them up at this age. I work better alone, but would hope to in the future!

Could you give us a playlist of your 10 favorite songs?
Height Down-John Frusciante and River Phoenix
Cranes-Lillies
Hole-Asking for it
Debussy-Girl with flaxen hair
Contoy-Ronka
Grimes-Hallways
Blanche Blanche Blanche
Yura Yura Teikoku-Beautiful
Cocteau Twins-Peppermint Pig
Aphex Twins-Xtall

I need to add two more!!!
Smile from the streets you hold
Curve-Horror Head

Thanks Abi :) She does not when she does, I will let you all know!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...